Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Embracing Uncertainty

I like this title, I think I'll name my blog this.

So it's been the better part of a month here in Shanghai and I have to say I'm starting to settle in. I like the fact that things here move fast. It feels like a country more receptive to new things, new ideas, crazy ideas at that. Rules are pliable to the extent that you can compel. It's so fast paced that slowing down seems like cheating the city of what it can give you. I'm not one to say but as how see it in movies, I guess the allegory of Shanghai now and the wild west before would be fairly accurate albeit a little more order but the spirit stays the same.

I'm not certain if it's because of the timing and the situation of my life and how it matches to the youth and exuberance Shanghai. It's just been a little over a year since the MBA and I can't just imagine how far things have changed. A little over a year ago, I was in Fresh Direct trading fruits and vegetables. I was looking for a way to get excited professionally again, hence the MBA.

I can't fathom how fast life has moved on. If you told me 18 months ago that I would be sitting in an apartment in Shanghai pondering new jobs in private equity or business development for a huge multinational instead of sitting in Vancouver with the same professional track, I wouldn't have believed it. But in between that I found a fire, learned how to sail, learned about the professional world that I would have never even been able to come close to had I not taken that plunge.

I like uncertainty. I wonder what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment